Many people complain from being unable to remember several moments of their daily life. Some people just see themselves as having an impaired memory while others may get panic attacks when forgetting any simple detail. It is scientifically proven that all of us are exposed to daily situations where we forget some details.
It is important to point out that there is no need to worry about forgetting information or having difficulties in remembering information. However if this situation keeps repeating itself daily and effects a person’s daily life, then one should consult a doctor. These are some situations where memory loss is normal and often is related to aging:
- Forgetting where you put things that are used regularly, like keys.
- Suddenly or temporarily forgetting the names of some people.
- Not attending some scheduled meetings because you forgot.
- Going into a room and forgetting what you wanted to bring or why you went there.
In some cases the reason of memory loss will be as a result of the below factors:
- Lack of concentration: knowing that the brain requires at least 8 seconds of concentration to store a memory. Otherwise this will result in inaccurate and forgettable memory.
- Depression: the symptoms of depression could be similar to memory loss, as the patient with depression suffers from lack of concentration, disorganization and being unable to accomplish required tasks. These situations are common in older people who went through lifestyle changes especially loneliness.
- Vitamin B12 deficiency: right levels of vitamin B12 in our body help in protecting our nerve endings and brain function. Therefore taking vitamin B12 supplements in cases of low levels is necessary to avoid the negative effects of vitamin B12 deficiency. However B12 deficiency can reflect the symptoms of anemia such as fatigue and lack of concentration.
- Alcohol and drug intake, especially those illicit drugs, as they affect the level of concentration significantly.
- Malnutrition. Consuming diets that are poor with the daily essential nutrients which helps in building a healthy nervous system and maintains its activity.
- Being exposed to physical and psychological stress as well as having some diseases such as epilepsy and brain tumors.
- Memory loss related to aging.
These are some advises to help you to enhance your memory:
- Healthy diet is considered as the simplest way to stimulate the memory and increase attention span and concentration. Food rich with minerals, vitamins and Omega-3 fatty acids help the brain to concentrate more and enhance the memory. These foods include the following:
- All sorts of fish like salmon, tuna and caviar.
- Nuts such as almonds, hazelnuts and cashews.
- Milk and Dairy products.
- Blueberry, strawberry and raspberry.
- Whole grain and cereals such as whole wheat bread, corn and breakfast whole grain cereals.
- Potassium rich foods like bananas.
- Seeds like pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds.
- Tomato, broccoli, red cabbage, eggplant and spinach.
2.Practicing healthy sleeping habits such as:
- Regular sleeping hours, as this provide the body a chance to retain its energy and give the brain a chance to rest.
- Sleeping for 6-8 hours daily.
- A midday nap could help to clear out the brain and renew the energy.
3.Quitting bad habits that are toxic to the body and can affect the brain such as smoking, using harmful medications and alcohol.
4.Practicing regular brain exercises to maintain the brain alert, examples of these exercises are puzzles and crosswords. You can check the webpage www.websudok.com where you can find such exercises.